The Nomads Golf Club was founded
in Johannesburg in 1960 by Michael Florance, a man who had a dream of giving
back some of his own good fortune to those around him, and of creating a club
of like-minded people. The club began with 106 members and now has membership
of around 2 000. It thrives in five countries and has 12 clubs in South Africa
Nomads celebrates its 50th anniversary in 2010 and to recognise this
achievement, the club will publish a commemorative book which will not only
record its history, but serve as a showpiece for the future.
The book will be a high quality coffee-table style book, with text and colour pictures throughout.
It comprises 192 pages printed on glossy paper, standard A4 size, with a full-colour hard board cover.
This coffee-table book is available for purchase by all members, and it will also make an ideal gift for host clubs, visiting guests, sponsors and the recipients of
the Nomads fundraising efforts. It includes
* The history and growth of the Nomads Club
* 24 pages spotlighting the national sponsors and partner organisations that make up the ‘Nomads Brand’
* 14 pages showcasing the NNAMEF and Golforama contributions made by Nomads over the half-century
* a 60-page celebration of the uniquely individual Nomads member clubs
* pages offering a tip ‘o the cap to Founder Members, Honorary Life Members, members of the
400-, 500- etc Game Badge clubs, and to the support teams (Pink Ladies,
Green Machine etc)
* a 52-page year-by-year trip through the history and highlights of the club
* the annual Nomads National Tournaments – the men who make them happen, the
trophies and of course, all the winners since 1966.
The book includes literally hundreds of scanned or photographed images of material in the Nomads Archive housed at the Germiston GC (more about the Archive in this book too). It has been designed to convey the extent and importance of the impact that the members of the Nomads
Golf Club have made (with little if any fanfare) not only on the game of golf in South Africa, but on the lives of those less fortunate than themselves.
Ordering information: Available through all Nomads Club Captains or from the Nomads National Secretary,